Students who drop their entire course load by definition withdraw from The University of Texas at Austin for the semester. 

To withdraw from the Graduate School, the student must file a Withdrawal and Refund Request form, which may be obtained from the Graduate School by emailing GradStudentSvcs@austin.utexas.edu or contacting your program graduate coordinator. The form explains refund policies. 

All requests for withdrawal must be accompanied by an acknowledgment from the student’s graduate advisor and emailed to GradStudentSvcs@austin.utexas.edufor processing.

A student may withdraw through the last class day of the semester, but academic appointments may not extend beyond the effective date of a student’s withdrawal.

Medical Withdrawals

Medical withdrawals are initiated with University Health Services.

Students Receiving Financial Aid

Withdrawals for students receiving federal financial aid require the consent of the Office of Financial Aid

Students in Warning Status

Students in a warning status because of failure to maintain a grade-point average of at least 3.0 may not withdraw without a petition from the graduate adviser and the approval of the graduate dean.

International Students

Withdrawals for international students require the consent of the International Office