In addition to the university-wide Commencement, graduate students participate in the Graduate School’s Convocation on Saturday, May 25, 2019.
Tickets are available for pick up unitl Friday, May 24, 2019 in the Main Building Room 101. Master's students will receive 4 tickets and doctoral students will receive 5 tickets. Tickets are only needed for guests sitting in the audience. If you have applied to graduate, but don't plan on attending the ceremony, you may give your tickets to another student of your level (master's to master's). If you cannot pick up your tickets in person, you may send a proxy in your absence. This proxy must know your UT EID.
The ceremony, which takes place in Bass Concert Hall, lasts about two hours and will be streamed live. The master's ceremony will begin at 8:30 a.m. and the doctoral ceremony will begin at 11:30 a.m. Doors open for guests of each ceremony 45 minutes prior to the start. However, we must wait until the ceremony beforehand is over and those guests have exited Bass Concert Hall.
On the day of the ceremony, students must check in at the lobby of McCullough Theatre, located on the northeast side of Bass Concert Hall. Bring your regalia; it is required to participate in convocation.
- Master’s Students: Check in starting at 7 a.m.
- If you arrive after 8:00 a.m., you will not be able to sit with your college/school. You will be seated backstage.
- Doctoral Students: Check in starting at 10 a.m.
- If you arrive after 11:00 a.m., you will not be able to sit with your college/school. You will be seated backstage.
**We only allow graduates to walk across the stage during the ceremony unless assistance is needed and you have an approved accommodation through the Office for Students with Disabilities.**
Regalia is required to participate in convocation and can only be ordered through the University Coop.
- Doctoral purchase deadline: March 31
- Doctoral rental deadline: April 14
- Master's regalia deadline: May 5
If you or your guests require wheelchair access or have other special needs, review Bass Concert Hall’s accessibility information.
If you need a special accommodation during the Graduate School ceremony or University-wide ceremony, contact Danielle Thoma. Accommodation requests must be made five business days in advance of Commencement programs. While every effort will be made, the University may be unable to fulfill last-minute requests.
Parents and guests may enter Bass Concert Hall (Google Map) through the main entrance on 23rd Street, facing Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. Doors open for guests of each ceremony 45 minutes prior to the start.
Free parking will be available in all university parking garages as well as on most surface lots.
To ensure your visit to campus is safe and enjoyable, the following safety procedures will be in place:
- Backpacks, totes or other bags larger than 12 inches in any dimension will not be allowed into any of the Commencement and/or Convocation venues.
- Bags are subject to search by security personnel. Please do not bring any packages that cannot be opened or inspected.
Professional photographs will be taken during the ceremony. The photographer will email students proofs and order forms after the ceremony.