Planning to hire a graduate student? Before preparing appointment documents, refer to the conditions for student employment, which all students engaged in academic employment must meet.
Beginning November 1, 2018, please refer to the Workday Overview of Student Employment changes.
When making appointments, use the following dates:
- Fall — Sept. 1 to Jan. 15
- Spring — Jan. 16 to May 31
- Summer I — June 1 to July 15
- Summer II — July 16 to Aug. 31
- Student Academic Employment
- Student Non-Academic Employment
- The duties performed by a student in connection with a graduate research assistant (GRA) appointment must relate to the student’s degree requirements, and must be performed under the supervision of a faculty member, the director of a research center, or their designate(s). All initial appointments to the GRA title must include the following statement in the remarks portion of the appointment form:
The duties performed by this student in connection with this appointment relate to the student’s degree requirements, and will be performed under the supervision of a faculty member, the director of a research center, or their designates.
- It is illegal to withhold pay from employees who are performing their duties. Therefore, it is incumbent upon the employer to verify employees’ eligibility and correct problems or request exceptions before allowing them to work. If students are not in compliance with the rules and exceptions are not warranted, they must not be allowed to work.
- The title “Teaching Assistant – No Student Contact (0062)” may be used only for international students who have not completed English certification and are not yet approved for student contact. Check the certification status for international students on *GSADM-GS80.