The Big XII Faculty Fellowship Program is designed to stimulate scholarly initiatives among universities affiliated by Big XII Conference athletics. The program offers faculty the opportunity to travel to member institutions to exchange ideas and pursue research.
All tenured or tenure-track faculty, plus those who have been in non-tenure-track faculty positions at The University of Texas at Austin for at least six years, are eligible to apply.
Big XII Faculty Fellowships provide as much as $2,500 to help defray allowable expenses, including transportation, lodging, meals and incidentals.
To apply, use the Graduate School Awards System in UT Direct starting May 15. Applications must be submitted by June 30, and fellows will be announced in mid-July.
During the application process, you will be asked to answer a series of short questions about the nature of your proposed visit, and to upload the following documents:
- A one- to two-page project description of your plans and goals for the collaborative visit;
- A letter or email of invitation from the host institution; and
- A three-page CV (a fourth page may be used for an optional bibliography).
After your visit, you must submit a brief report to the Dean of the Graduate School on what was accomplished and what future actions might result from the collaborative visit.
Hosting a Fellow
If you would like to host a faculty fellow from another Big XII university:
- Ask the prospective visitor to contact their provost to confirm that the Big XII Faculty Fellowship is available at the home institution.
- Arrange for your department, research center, school or other unit to issue a letter of invitation to the prospective Big XII Faculty fellow. The letter should specify the visit dates and any particular expectations of the fellow (e.g. lectures to be given, collaborations to be undertaken, etc.).
- Once the fellow has been approved for funding by their home institution, arrange for your unit to send a letter requesting that the fellow be named a visiting scholar so that they can be provided with a temporary identification card, library privileges, and other benefits. Application for status as a visiting researcher or scholar should be made to the Office of the Vice President for Research.
- Assist the fellow in making arrangements for housing, office space, and other necessary accommodations.