COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

The Graduate School

Student Services

Teaching Resources



  • How can I access health insurance this summer?
    There are two health insurance plans available to graduate students depending on whether they are academic employees. Graduate students employed as AIs, TAs and GRAs for 20 hours or more a week for at least 4.5 months are eligible to participate in the university's employee insurance plans. Please see Human Resource’s student employee insurance and benefits website for more information. All currently enrolled students are eligible for health insurance through the AcademicBlue health plan provided by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas. Please visit the plan’s website for information on benefits, costs and enrollment periods.
  • What impact will COVID-19 have on the implementation plan for the Graduate Education Task Force?
    The COVID-19 crisis has introduced new challenges to developing the task force implementation plan. However, the Graduate School is still on track to address many of the recommendations, such as insurance, TRB, mentoring and TA/AI salaries. As the university transitions to online course delivery, the Graduate School is resuming discussions and will submit the plan to the provost soon.

Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC)

  • Is GIAC open to see visitors in person?
    No. GIAC is currently not seeing walk-ins, and staff are working remotely. Staff may be reached via email.
  • Can I speak to someone in GIAC by phone?
    No. Staff are currently working remotely away from the phone system and are not available for calls.
  • Will GIAC receive mail during this time?
    No. While staff are working remotely, they will not be processing documents sent by mail. They will resume processing mail as soon as they return to the office, at a to-be-determined date. Please do not send mail to GIAC at this time. However, if you have already sent something, it is our understanding that USPS and courier services will hold the mail until staff return.
  • I am an applicant. How do I provide my materials if you are not in the office?
    Applicants can upload materials via their MyStatus and the Document Upload System. The only items that cannot be uploaded are test scores, which are sent electronically via the testing agency. Staff are able to continue receiving and processing test scores remotely.
  • I am an admitted student and need to clear a registration bar. How can I do this?
    Students admitted for summer or fall 2020 will have until registration for spring 2021 to provide official transcripts. Your registration bars for official transcripts will not prohibit you from registering for summer or fall 2020.

    If your institution can send transcripts through SPEEDE, Parchment, or CHESICC & CDGDC, please do so. Staff can continue to process transcripts received through these services.

    If you do not have the ability to use one of those services, you will need to provide the official paper documents produced directly by the Registrar's Office at your institution (not a printed PDF, emailed transcript or other print out). You have until registration for spring 2021 to do so. Please do not send paper documents at this time. We will update this page when our office opens and mail processing resumes.<

  • When will GIAC reopen?
    It has not yet been determined when GIAC will reopen. This page will be updated as soon as we learn more. 
  • Will admission decisions be delayed?
    At the graduate level, admissions decisions are made by individual graduate programs. GIAC is not aware of any delays in admissions decisions due to COVID-19, and programs continue to review applications and post decisions. For more information, contact the graduate coordinator in the program to which you have applied to determine when decisions may be posted.
  • What if I cannot complete all the admission requirements (including standardized tests such as the GRE or GMAT) by the application deadline?
    Individual graduate programs determine application deadlines and any exceptions. Please consult the admissions contact or graduate coordinator in the program to which you are applying to inquire about deadlines and exceptions. A complete list of programs and contacts is available on the Graduate School website.